Thursday, June 09, 2005

Okay, back again. Life has been a little insane of late (is it ever anything but?), but I have finally managed to get myself a permanent job, at Sheffield Hallam University in England. I have moved at least every two years since 1988, so I may have an opportunity now to stretch that record a little! :) I'm lecturing in Visual Culture, Cultural Policy and Management, and Media Studies (particularly Alternative Media). It keeps me busy.

So now I'm hoping that I can be a little more regular with my postings on this weblog. There are some very interesting enclosure-related events coming up at the end of June and I will report on them soon enough. There's also the G8 Summit at Gleneagles, and partly in Sheffield as well, which should be interesting. Then there's the problems at Lancaster University, where some peaceful student protesters have been charged with aggrevated trespass and face time in jail. Never mind all of the problems facing activist academics at the moment, particularly in the United States. I'll get to updating on some of these things soon.

Most sincere apologies for being lax about this weblog. Teaching alternative media last semester has made me more aware of the importance of at the very least proclaiming the presence of difference (not spectacular difference, but the difference that happens to be part and parcel of who we are and can be), and I hope that this weblog can go some way to achieving at least that.

More soon.